Tuesday 3 July 2012

Gorgs goes for Gold – just a few weeks to go!


As readers of this blog will know, Helpful Holidays sponsors Georgina (Gorgs) Geikie, British number one ladies pistol shooter. We have sponsored Gorgs for the past three years, and are continuing to help in her bid for Olympic gold – we caught up with her to hear about her final preparations…

HH: What are you doing between now and the Olympics?
GG: I’ll be heading off for two training camps, at Bisley in Surrey and Charmouth Tunnel in Dorset, where my coach and I will fine tune my mental and technical training.

HH: What sort of things will you be doing at the camps?
GG: We’ll be focusing on my awareness and visualisation, creating a flow of routine. At the elite level, shooting is 95% psychological and 5% technique, so this is really important. We had a test event at the Olympic venue in April, so I’ll know what to expect. Nobody in my event has a maximum score – if it was easy, everyone would do it. You can perform brilliantly in training but it all comes down to what you do on the big day, so my mental strength is critical.

HH: How many will be with you in the GB shooting team?
GG: There are 11 in total, shooting a mixture of rifle and shotgun. I’m the only pistol shooter – I was the only one to meet the Olympic qualifying standard.

Gorgs ran the Okehampton leg of the Torch Relay
HH: Will your friends and family be supporting you at the Olympics?
GG: Yes, as well as my coach, my parents, my boyfriend, supporters from Helpful Holidays, they’ll all be there. It will actually be the first time I’ve competed on home territory with supporters present.

HH: Is that something to consider? You can’t let them put you off?
GG: That’s right, and it’s been a big part of my visualisation and awareness training. The support has been amazing though and spurs me on. I had a card from my Uncle, which has been areal inspiration – on the front it said: “If you shoot for the moon, even if you miss you’ll land amongst the stars”.

HH: When should everyone tune in to cheer you on?
GG: Well, I’ll be at the opening ceremony on 27th July, and then my first event, the 10m Pistol, is on the 29th July. My second event, the 25m Sport Pistol, is on the 1st August; this is my priority event, I won my quota place for this one.

HH: So how do you think you’ll do?
GG: Well, I’m aiming for Gold, but I’m keeping my feet firmly on the ground. I just want to make sure I do myself and everyone else justice. If I can achieve a personal best, that would hopefully get me amongst the medals.

HH: Finally, what message do you have for everyone cheering you on?
GG: It’s an absolute privilege to compete in front of my home nation, in front of friends and family. And the support I’ve received from Helpful Holidays is priceless – this has ensured I can train to the highest standard and give myself a real chance.

We’d all like to wish Gorgs the very best of luck. You can follow her progress on her website, on Facebook and on Twitter.

If you fancy watching Gorgs whilst relaxing on holiday, browse our Dorset and East Devon cottages with availability during the Olympics.